Will The Police Help With A Warrant Search Or An Arrest Report in Johnston County, NC?
When I launch a criminal check on a subject, I am not looking for just an arrest report. I also want to know about the arrest warrants in his/her name. When going through a sheriff’s dept website, I was hoping to find the police blotter or their arrest log and warrant list. In Johnston, arrest records can be found easily on the website of the sheriff.
However, there is no trace of a warrants list or the other information that criminal court records typically contain. So, you are certainly not going to get the expected response to your warrant search online. This, I am sure, will make you wonder how and who to connect with for an arrest report. Find out below:
How do I get arrest records from the cops?
- Get the most recent arrest reports: You can find the tool to access current arrest records on the sheriff’s website http://www.johnstonnc.com/sheriffs_office/arrestsearchbyname.php. It will suffice to have just the last name of the subject, but the full name will narrow down the results. You will get the arrest log for the past 15 days, and the information available on the detainees includes their full name, details about the charges, date of arrest, and arrest mugshots.
- Use the inmate search facility: This service is available at http://www.johnstonnc.com/sheriffs_office/jailsearch1.cfm. Using this tool, you will get information on all the individuals who are currently detained in the county jail. Now, I am sure you wonder how this is different from the arrest records search feature mentioned above. While you only get information about arrests made in the preceding 15 days from the tool above, the inmate search allows you to access information on all those in prison at the time of your inquiry. You can also get arrest reports that go back a few months by using this facility, as long as the person in question is still being held under detention.
- Approach the cops for a warrant inquiry: To get in touch with the sheriff’s office for a background check, you can call on them at 120 South Third Street, Smithfield, NC. They no longer entertain requests for information on active warrants over the phone. So, no point in calling them. Also, do not forget to take a government-issued ID along when going to the office for a warrant inquiry.
You can also find information on some court cases and recent arrests from the News and Observer for Johnston County. Although the publication gets its data from the police and the courts, they are not affiliated with either of these agencies. To read about outstanding warrants issued in open cases, go to http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/johnston-county/.
Can I get a criminal check done through the Clerk of Court’s Office?
You can write to the agency to access their paid warrant search service, or you can go up to the cash counter when at their office, fill a form, and ask them to get you the criminal court records you need. Another way is to use the public use terminals to sift through their court docket database. This is a free service but one that you can only access by visiting the agency in person. So, you can
- Drive down to the office of the Clerk of Court at 207 E Johnston St, Smithfield, NC 27577 or
You can write to the agency at PO Box 297, Smithfield, NC 27577. In this case, you will have to send the fees by money order.
Can you access the Johnston County warrant list and arrest records over the phone? (Current in 2021)
- To find out about recent arrests, dial the Johnston Jail phone number- (919) 989-5040.
- To obtain arrest records and incident reports, contact the Records Division at (919) 989-5010.
- To report a crime and for general crime inquiries, use the non-emergency dispatch phone number- (919) 989-5000.
- To conduct a warrant search, call Criminal Process Inquiries at (919) 989-5772.
- To receive details about victim’s assistance, contact the District Attorney’s Office at (919) 209-5400.
- To get information on how to begin a criminal case search, contact the Clerk of Court at (919) 209-5520.
Crime statistics of Johnston County
In 2019, the Sheriff’s Department of Johnston County dealt with about 1615 criminal complaints. Property offenses accounted for 1463 of the complaints. There are 950 larceny-theft cases, 404 burglary cases, and 109 vehicle theft cases in this category. Around 116 instances of assault and 16 of rape were a part of the complaints filed against violent crimes.