I was disappointed to find one more law enforcement agency in NC that does not offer arrest records nor information about arrest warrants, online. In fact, I was stunned at the sheer meticulousness with which the Watauga County Sheriff’s Dept keeps their warrants list and arrest log away from the community they serve.
Normally, you are likely to get at least some information that can be used to create an arrest report or a warrant list through the FB page of most law enforcement offices. But, the Sheriff’s Dept of Watauga is diligent about keeping all information from the police blotter away from the public domain. This brings us to the all-important question-
How do I launch a criminal check or get an arrest report in Watauga?
Because arrest warrants are issued at the behest of the police and served by the agency, the Sheriff’s Dept. seems like the best place to start a warrant check. The police department will usually offer information on outstanding warrants once they are done investigating a case. However, there are scenarios in which information on active warrants is not given to regular folks. This is usually done if:
- The arrest order is issued in connection with a serious crime.
- There is a risk that the suspect may try to skip town if he learns about the arrest warrant against him.
- If it is thought that the information may endanger the lives of community members
That said, the Sheriff’s Office will not undertake a formal criminal check for you. That is the job of the Clerk of Superior Court’s Office. However, you can approach the law enforcement agency for arrest reports since the office is also in charge of the County Jail. Here are the contact details of the police department and another agency that can help you to get the Watauga arrest log.
- You can get in touch with the Sheriff’s Dept at 184 Hodges Gap Road, Boone, NC 28607. I would recommend that you speak to a representative from the agency, if possible the administrative assistant/clerk, before driving to their office. The agency can be reached at 828-264-3761.
- Another way to access arrest records is to use the State Department of Public Safety’s criminal search tool at http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi/offendersearch.do?method=view. You will need the name of the offender to track him/her in the correctional system of NC.
How do I get criminal court records from Watauga judicial offices?
You can find a criminal court docket by contacting the Clerk of Superior Court, who is in charge of maintaining information on all court cases heard by the judicial entities in the area. You can access the information they have to offer in two ways:
- You’ll be able to find information on the active warrants and the police reports you are looking for by searching through their database on your own. Go ahead and approach the agency office in person to avail this facility. You can use the terminals in the lobby to gain access to the database. They won’t charge you for this service.
- You can ask them to conduct a warrant search for you. They will ask you to make a payment of $25 and fill out the records request form. If you are at the office of the agency, it will hardly take more than a few minutes to get the details you need. Alternatively, you can write to the office of the Clerk. To get in touch with the agency, go/write to 842 W King St, Suite 13, Boone, NC 28607-3525.